We change from summer-like conditions to more typical springtime weather through the 7-day forecast. Expect temperatures to moderate down into the 70's today with an early isolated shower or thunderstorm.
After frontal passage this afternoon, we'll revert to a chilly pattern over the next 48 hours with highs struggling to make the 70's and lows in the 40's. Other than today, there is no chance of rain for at least the next 5 days.
We received 3/4" of an inch (.76") of rain on Monday evening. This gives us a total of 1.16" for May.
This morning's temperature is 65° to start (at 6:50 am). It will be the warmest morning we'll have in the forecast period.
MAY 8 WEATHER HISTORY:
- 1784 - Town of Winnsborough SC was hit by a devastating hailstorm. Hailstones up to 9 inches in diameter killed several persons.
- 1803 - Heavy snow from Indiana to New England from a freak snowstorm.
- 1902 - Mt. Pelee erupted in the West Indies. Around 40,000 people perished. Considered to be the greatest volcanic eruption of all time.
- 1979 - Rough morning in Tampa FL. 8 tornadoes kill 17 people. 7.84 inches of rain fall between 8am and 2pm. A total of 12.73 inches of rain fall on the 8th and 9th.
- 1981 - Worst hailstorm of record in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Grapefruit size hail and 100 mph winds struck the area causing $200 million in damage. Hail piled up to a depth of 8 inches.
- 1988 - Mother's Day tornado outbreak of 57 tornadoes across the Mississippi Valley. 22 twisters in Iowa was a record. The tornadoes were accompanied by over 200 reports of large hail and damaging winds. Terre Bonne MO reported baseball-sized hail. 80-mph winds at Rockford IL trapped a person in a portable toilet. Fortunately, no deaths were reported with the outbreak.
- 1989 - 28 at Asheville NC, just one of 21 record lows across the eastern U.S.
- 1994 - Major flash flooding strikes Louisiana and Mississippi between the 8th and 10th. $3.5 billion in damage.
On this day in ..
*Latest Local Forecast*
And finally, the latest weather news from the Weather.com News Center.
Interact with me on social media:
Weather Guy on Facebook
Weather Guy on Twitter
Cookeville Weather Alerts on Twitter