THAT NASTY BURNING SMELL
Yesterday, I told you all about an issue with a 'burning smell' inside of our home. It kind of freaks you out to wake up to something like that!! Turns out, an electrical component (called a high limiter) failed on our heating unit and began to arc (that'd be sparking, for you regular folk). The arcing caused the part and wiring to melt..but it was limited to just that part. Made a big ol' foul smell though. The heat and air folks were out in less than 30 minutes and got us fixed up!! Part was under warranty, too! :)
OK...on to the weather..not a bad day (for winter) in store here. A partly sunny day ahead with highs near 50°....take a warm jacket for today as you leave this morning...after a cool evening tonight, rain chances begin to increase on Wednesday and Thursday. Along with that increased rain chances come warmer temperatures. We will definitely take that!
*Latest, Local Forecast*
SEVERE WEATHER AWARENESS WEEK
As we've pointed out the last two days, this is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Tennessee. Today's focus is on Lightning. It is called the 'underrated killer'. Lightning charges can reach 100 million volts. Tall trees, light poles, and telephone lines are frequent targets for lightning strikes. Lightning is always a potential killer and safety precautions are a MUST in any storm. Remember, lightning can and does strike miles away from the parent storm. There are safety rules online in the brochure put out by the National Weather Service.
One last thing, the group most likely to be struck by lightning...FARMERS...followed closely by GOLFERS!
TODAY IN HISTORY
1967--Record lows for this date set in Nashville (10°) and Crossville (2°)
1998--80 inches of snow falls on Alta, Utah