If you like summer, we're going to get a taste of it this week. Expect highs to range from the mid 80's to near 90° all the way until Friday. It'll be mainly dry with only a slight chance for thunderstorms later today, tonight, and Tuesday (around 20%).
*Latest Local Forecast*
Cookeville's Daily Almanac
Our morning low: 61.0°
Yesterday's high: 83.6°
Yesterday's low: 58.4°
24-hour precip total: 0.00
Last Year: 65° and 38°
Normal High: 75°
Normal Low: 50°
Records: 91° in 1936 and 30° in 1976
1.27" of rain fell on this date in 1975
On This Date In Tennessee Weather History, 1995 flash flooding in Warren County washes out a bridge and covers several roads with as much as three to four feet of water. In 1933 just north of here in Tompkinsville, Kentucky, a massive tornado kills 18 people.
WEATHER HISTORY ACROSS AMERICA:
- 1923 - Baltimore records their latest snow ever with a trace of the white stuff.
- 1927 - A major tornado outbreak from Texas to Michigan. 28 tornadoes counted. Part of Poplar Bluff MO was destroyed. 98 killed, 300 injured.
- 1933 - Kentucky family of tornadoes kills 36 along a 60-mile path. The town of Tompkinsville was the hardest hit with 18 killed.
- 1966 - Heavy record snows in western Pennsylvania and northeastern Ohio. 3.1 inches fell at Pittsburgh.
- 1977 - Late season Northeast snow. Boston records their only May snow of record. 27 inches of snow falls at Slide Mountain NY. 500,000 people without power following heavy, wet snow.
- 1979 - Eastern heat wave: 95 at Boston and 94 at New York City.
- 1980 - Sunshine Skyway Bridge disaster in Tampa Bay, Florida. Tanker rams bridge during morning thunderstorm. 30 people killed.
- 1985 - Lightning strikes tree 150 yards away from Alabama house, follows driveway to house where it blows up electrical outlets and appliances and blows hole in basement floor.
- 1986 - Flooding in Des Moines IA caused by seven inches of rain in 3 hours. $16 million in damage, 530 homes flooded. No injuries.
- 1990 - 22.4 inches of snow at Marquette MI after temperatures the day before were in the 70s.
- 1990 - Cyclone hits India, killing 1000 people. Storm surge measured at 22 feet
On this day in ..
Join me on:
My Google Profile