A COLD RAIN:
More rainfall is on tap for us today. Expect another 1" or so in the Upper Cumberland area before the precipitation move out later this evening. Our high temperature was at midnight and we are at 53.4° as of this post at 7 AM CDT. Expect temperatures to be steady to falling most of the day. A west northwest wind will make the day feel even cooler. A jacket is required!
The photo above is from Maury County (Columbia area) and was posted by meteorologist Lisa Patton at NashvilleWX.com
CHILLY, BUT WARMING SOON:
Clearing out later tonight, low 40° by sunrise on Wednesday and we'll see highs fight to get to 60° on Wednesday (another jacket day!). Cold Wednesday night with low in the 30's but we warm up for through the weekend with highs on Thursday near 70° under a sun-filled sky and the same for Friday and mid 70's to near for the weekend with an increased chance of showers.
THIS DATE IN WEATHER HISTORY:
1895 - A tornado in Iowa strikes two separate schools killing a teacher at each. Turns out the teachers are siblings.
- 1761 - British fleet at anchor in Charleston harbor as major tornado strikes. 4 killed.
- 1774 - Major snowstorm from Virginia to New York. Severe frost as far south as North Carolina.
- 1812 - Major snowstorm from Philadelphia to Maine. 12 inches at Keene NH. 9 inches at Waltham MA.
- 1895 - A violent tornado, at times 1000 yards wide, leveled two schools several miles apart in Sioux County, Iowa, killing teachers and students. The teacher killed at one of the schools was the brother of the teacher killed at the other school.
- 1978 - Severe flooding at New Orleans caused by 10-13 inches of rain from persistent thunderstorms. Water was up to 4 feet deep in some homes. Total damage $100 million. Oil storage tank set afire at Covent, LA by lightning.
- 1982 - President Reagan's star horse from Death Valley Days, Sinbad the Sailor, struck by lightning and killed at Kanab UT.
- 1984 - Powerful tornado ripped through Montgomery Alabama killing 5 and injuring 37.
- 1987 - 18 inches of snow at Divide in the Colorado foothills.
- 1988 - Baseball size hail west of Mooresville NC.
- 1990 - Up to three feet of snow in the high elevations of southern Colorado from a slow moving late season storm.
- 1991 - Bismarck ND reported 6.1 inch snowfall.
On this day in ..
(courtesy Bill Murray at The Weather Company)
Our morning low: 53.2° at 7:05 AM
Yesterday's high: 81.1° at 3:56 PM
Yesterday's low: 66.3° at 10:33 AM
24-hour precip total: .09"
Last Year: ° and °
Normal High: 73°
Normal Low: 48°
Records: 98° in 1942 and 33° in 2005
2.70" of rain fell on this date in 2010
Join me on:
Post a Comment