It's Mother's Day weekend. History of Mother's Day. Friendly piece of unsolicited advice for men..don't forget Mother's Day, whether it is your mom, your wife, your grown daughter with kids or even if you're a newlywed and you all don't have children yet, it is an important holiday to women. Please don't buy anything that plugs in either!
Cloudy skies greet us this morning across much of Tennessee. There are a few showers in the area as well at just after 7 am. I do expect a slight chance for a shower here in the Upper Cumberland before lunch. After that, we'll see skies turn sunny and a high of 68° later this afternoon.
REST OF WEEKEND:
Tonight, mostly clear and a low of 46°. For Saturday, a partly sunny day with a slight chance for showers, high 73° and then for Mother's Day, only isolated chances of showers or a thunderstorm and warmer with a high of 77°.
*Latest Local Forecast*
Cookeville's Daily Almanac
Our morning low: 46.9°
Yesterday's high: 69.9°
Yesterday's low: 34.4°
24-hour precip total: 0.00
Last Year: 84° and 52°
Normal High: 74°
Normal Low: 49°
Records: 90° in 1959 and 35° in 1957
3.10" of rain fell on this date in 2003
Tonight is the peak of some this year's BEST meteor showers. The Eta Aquarid showers peaks on May 6th. Observers after dark should expect to see up to 20 meteors per hour. These meteors originate from the dust of Hailey's Comet and every May the earth runs through this stream of dust.
THIS DATE IN WEATHER HISTORY:
- 1876 - Severe windstorm in Chicago caused severe damage totaling $250,000.
- 1937 - Thunderstorm delayed landing of dirigible Hindenburg at Linden NJ. When the ship finally landed, it burst into flames and crashed.
- 1975 - Very large tornado kills 3 and does $250 million in damage in Omaha NE, making it the most costly US tornado to that time. 133 were injured. The path of the storm was 10 miles long and up to 1/4 of a mile wide. The tornado moved through the western section of town before lifting over the northern part of the city, but not before it had destroyed 287 houses and damaged 1400 others. Excellent warnings kept the death toll amazingly low.
- 1984 - A boat is not a place to be during a thunderstorm. Two men standing in a boat on Sheridan Lake in South Dakota were killed when lightning struck the boat.
- 1987 - Record heat in the West. 18 record highs were recorded in California and Oregon. 104 in Sacramento was their warmest ever for so early in the season.
- 1989 - 43 degrees at the start of the Kentucky Derby was the coldest in 115 years of records. Wet snow was observed in parts of Louisville. Unseasonable cold affected much of the north central US, with 16 cities reporting record lows for the date. 17 at Bismarck and 26 at Minneapolis were both records for so late in the season.
On this day in ..
Join me on:
Post a Comment