Events are going on in the following local counties.
Putnam - 11:45 am to 1 pm on the Courthouse lawn
Overton - 12 noon to 1 pm on the Courthouse lawn
Dekalb - 12 noon to 1 pm on the Courthouse lawn
Please attend one of these events if you are in our area, otherwise look for events in your local area. The National Day of Prayer website is chock full of information!
Your Morning Forecast:
Sunshine and 66° later this afternoon, but we're starting in the 30's this morning across all of middle Tennessee. Some locations have patchy dense fog as well. Cloud increase tonight and we have a chance for showers, low 46°. Friday looks nice with a high of 67° and another shot at showers. A slight chance for showers through the weekend, highs in the middle 70's!
We went under 36° at 3:59 am and stayed there until 6:28 am. I do expect the frost to damage some immature plants, but hopefully most will survive just fine. We are confident those weather is behind us until Autumn.
*Latest Local Forecast*
Cookeville's Daily Almanac
Our morning low: 34.4°
Yesterday's high: 58.3°
Yesterday's low: 38.0°
24-hour precip total: 0.00
Last Year: 82° and 51°
Normal High: 74°
Normal Low: 48°
Records: 90° in 1896 and 33° in 1957
1.76" of rain fell on this date in 2003
- 1834 - Family of tornadoes in Virginia killed 3 people. The twisters carved a path from near Victoria to south of Petersburg to just south of the James River. The damage path was reportedly one-mile wide in places.
- 1917 - 12 inches of snow in Denver CO, their greatest May snowstorm ever.
- 1930 - Temperature soars from 43 to 93 in a single day at College Park VA to signal the beginning of an incredible heat wave.
- 1987 - Western US sizzling under heat wave. 100 at downtown Sacramento CA was their earliest on record. Sacramento would go on to have record highs on 8 of the next 10 days.
- 1989 - Severe weather in the southeast. Tornado injured 15 near Toccoa GA as it struck a shopping center. Two F4 tornadoes in South Carolina and North Carolina killed 6 people. Four of the fatalities occurred near Toluca NC, including three people in a car. The twister blew several vehicles as far as 300 yards. Baseball size hail fell at Lake Murray SC.
- 1990 - Los Angeles smashed their record high for the date by 8 degrees with a reading of 101 degrees.
- 1990 - Fast moving pacific cold front capsized three recreational fishing boats in the Strait of Juan De Fuca in Washington State, killing 5 people. Weather conditions went from sunny and calm to ten-foot seas and 60-mph winds in just a matter of minutes, catching the boaters off guard.
- 1995 - Incredible hailstorm strikes Dallas/Ft. Worth area. 510 people are injured in the storm, most from hail. Another 21 people die, mostly from flash flooding. Thousands of citizens were caught outside at the annual Mayfest celebration. Injuries caused by the storm included broken bones, lacerations and deep bruises. More than 1.5 billion dollars of property damage resulted.
On this day in ..
Join me on:
My Google Profile