THURSDAY - SUNDAY OUTLOOK:
Expect a decent day on Thursday with plenty of sunshine but cool temperatures. A high of 46° and a calm wind. Cold again on Thursday night, low 30°. Friday's weather will be warmer with a high of 52° but I do expect showers to be on the increase in the afternoon. Friday night, rain showers likely with snow mixing in and the precipitation changing to all snow flurries overnight with a low of 29°. VERY COLD Saturday with a high of 37° under a sunny sky and a low by Sunday morning of 17°. Sunny on Sunday, high of just 35°.
*Latest Local Forecast*
DID YOU KNOW:
- Most of us know it is warm this winter, but did you know we're still not close to the warmest February on record? That distinction belongs to 1986 when we averaged nearly 63° during February. Right now, our average high is 57.4°. That's 9° above normal and nearly 12° higher than last winter.
- Today's record high is 75° from 1937
- Today's record low is 1° from 1984
From the Weather Notebook:
- 1835 - Deep freeze in the deep south. Mercury plunged to zero at Savannah and 8 degrees at Jacksonville FL. Severe damage to the citrus industry with orange trees killed to the roots.
- 1933 - Texas records its coldest temperature ever (-23F) at Seminole.
- 1936 - Denver CO records a record cold 36 degrees below zero.
- 1956 - Vega TX picks up an incredible 61 inches of snow from one storm (Feb 1-8) which still stands as the state record for snowfall from a single storm.
- 1985 - Blue Canyon CA sets a 24-hour February snowfall record with 42 inches (Feb 7-8). Blue Canyon is the snowiest place in the lower 48 states with an average of 241 inches of snow.
- 1987 - Severe winter storm strikes Chicago with mountainous waves along the waterfront. Seven million dollars in damage, the most ever caused by shoreline flooding and erosion in the city's history. Waves reached 12-18 feet high and the water level in Lake Michigan was raised two feet.
- 1989 - Mammoth traffic jams in Los Angeles area as a freak snow struck California. Snow was reported from the beaches of Malibu to the desert around Palm Springs
On this day in ..
Post a Comment