MUCH MORE ON THE HEAT:
- Yesterday's high hit 93°..just short of the record of 94°
- Heat index topped 100° (102°) for the 6th day out of the last nine and for the third consecutive day.
- Six more high temp records were tied or set yesterday including down in White County at the Sparta water plant where they hit 95°..the old record was 93° from 2008.
- 154 heat-related temp records have been set or tied in the past 9 days across Tennessee.
- Finally, our average high temperature for June through the first 9 days is 90.8°, which is the hottest since records have been kept in Cookeville going back to the late 1800's.
HEATWAVE WRAPPING UP BY SUNDAY?:
We will see a chance for isolated thunderstorms over the next few days. Expect highs in the 90's today and Saturday, but we'll back off into the 80's Sunday through Thursday of next week with night time lows in the middle to lower 60's. Not all of us will see rain, but those who do will see their temperatures back off by more than 10°....
*Latest Local Forecast*
Cookeville's Daily Almanac
June 10th, 2011
Our morning low: 64.6°
Yesterday's high: 93.0°
Yesterday's low: 67.9°
Last Year: 82° and 66°
Normal High: 83°
Normal Low: 60°
Records: 93° in 1999 and 42° in 1988
24-hour precip total: 0.00
Just .40" of rain for June
1.85" of rain fell on this date in 1998
MIDDLE TN WEATHER HISTORY
On June 10, 1998...
A hailstorm at Smithville produces golfball-size hail. Seventy cars and 17 homes are damaged. Wind driven hailstones cause holes in the siding of homes. Damage is estimated at $750,000.
On June 10, 1999...
Lightning strikes a substation on Eddy Lane in Franklin. The lightning damages a breaker, insulators, and lightning arrestors. Eight thousand customers are without power.
UNITED STATES WEATHER HISTORY
Join me on:
Create Your Badge
My Google Profile